Succession issues can be complicated and emotional. You have the legal right to handle a succession on your own; however, you should consider if that’s in your best interest. Our New Orleans succession lawyers realize that you may want to deal with a succession by yourself, but we want to provide you with information about how an attorney can help you through this process.
The Job of a Louisiana Succession Lawyer
When you hire a lawyer to handle a succession case, you are employing someone with the legal knowledge and experience to effectively:
- Make sure that Louisiana law is followed. Louisiana probate law is unique in the United States. It doesn't work the way other state probate systems work. Accordingly, it's essential to work with a Louisiana succession attorney who can make sure that Louisiana laws are followed.
- Get an administrator or executor appointed. If a person dies with a will, the will likely appoints an executor, but the executor has the option of declining the position. If the executor declines or the person died without a will, a lawyer can be instrumental in making sure an administrator is appointed to handle the succession.
- Open the succession, as appropriate. There are different types of successions in Louisiana. An experienced lawyer can make sure the right one is opened.
- Make sure titles are transferred. Titles to property such as motor vehicles and real estate must be transferred to the new owners.
- Get a Judgment of Possession. A Judgment of Possession must be issued, so heirs can inherit property.
- Save you time, money, and future frustration. A succession attorney may save you considerable time, money, and frustration by handling all succession matters.
Learn More Before You Hire a Succession Attorney
Every succession case is different. We want to answer your questions and help you decide whether to hire a Louisiana succession attorney. Please fill out our online contact form, or call us directly to get the answers you need to begin moving forward with the succession process.